I was reminded yesterday of an old American-Indian saying that says when you discover you’re riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount, but a colleague pointed out that there were other options available.
So I quickly Googled “How to ride a dead horse” and found a few sites quoting alternate strategies, which are worth a read.
They are all fairly similar and very funny… and unfortunately too true.
I began to wonder how those horses died. The proverb says “When you discover you are riding a dead horse…” , but there are several possible ways you got into that situation:
- Maybe the horse was dead when you got it
- Maybe you rode the horse too hard
- Maybe you forgot to feed and water the horse
- Maybe the horse got sick and you didn’t get it to a vet who could help
- Maybe someone shot the horse, because it had a broken leg (which you should have noticed if you are riding it)
- Maybe some enemy shot the horse to further his own causes
- Maybe the horse died of old age
bears some discussion…